Costa Rica: 50 MW awarded to Acciona

Acciona will design, construct and operate the Chiripa wind park following an investment of US$ 125 million. The wind park is planned for the municipality of Tilarán (Guanacaste province) in northwestern Costa Rica, and will consist of 33 wind turbines of 1.5 MW unitary capacity.

Acciona presented its bid together with the local company Grupo Ecoenergía, which holds a 35 % stake in the development company. The remaining 65 % are held by Acciona. The award involves the signature of a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement and the materialization of the wind farm through the BOT (build, operate and transfer) formula. Under the agreement, the developer will design, build and operate the wind park for the 20 years of its duration. Once this period is over, the ownership of the facility will be transferred to the ICE.

Acciona expects to start construction work at the end of 2012 and put it into service towards the end of 2013. Once grid connected, the Chiripa wind farm will produce over 200 GWh in an average year. The materialization of the Chiripa wind park will contribute to the government's strategic objective of reducing the country's carbon footprint. Costa Rica had 179 MW of installed wind power capacity at the end of 2010.

Similar Entries

Webinar "Operation of Wind Power Plants in Cold Climate 2021" (pict. VGB)

For the first time the results of the VGB Research Project “Comparison of blade-based ice detection systems” will be presented at the webinar
"Operation of Wind Power Plants in Cold Climate".

This installation will allow the farm in South Africa to lower the purchase of external energy, obtaining up to  80% of energy self-reliance as well as 70% energy self-consumption, that means 712 kWh of electricity produced daily vs. 895 kWh consumed (pict. Fimer)

All Electrical Distributors has chosen FIMER’s PVS-100-TL to help South African dairy farm run on 70% of its own energy.

Sometimes one and one add up to more than the mere addition of numbers. Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) of rotor blades is a complex and demanding task that requires very good hardware as well as professional data analysis in order to be able to make really precise and early statements about structural damage to the rotor blade. For this reason, two specialists have now joined forces to offer wind farm operators the best possible combination of forces on the market.

Using Bolt-Check to monitor clamp load (pict.: R&D A/S)

The Bolt-Check tool reduces preventative maintenance time, resulting in service cost reductions while maximizing uptime; Reduced health and safety costs.